Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I wood if I could...so I did?

This was the old, the worn, the ugly... only 2 weeks ago.


The small wood enclosure under the window was simply to protect insulation and lawnmowers for the summer, it never was intended to be permanent! And yes - my pink insulation is showing from where I haven't finished landscaping yet. Do count the steps...

AND THE NEW!!! (Door's open to show off the insulation)

Unfinished and the saw is borrowed, but we see what happens in 2 weeks when I have 'free slab wood' available. The window was donated by Pete; he'd had these for several years and no place to put them - 3 are in the first 'workshop'. I did buy the double-door (Habitat, of course), the inside insulation is part of what I've been hoarding since spring (Habitat, need I say it?). The large rocks came from Freecycle, and I dumped 10 bags of gravel from Mendards to help fill it up (pallet of broken bags, $10... who, me?).

The inside has 3 steps now, the first one more of a platform - old age, the original design had too many steps! The main goals were providing a place for coats & boots instead of the living room, backing off the Cold a few more feet, and providing storage.

I've leaned on a few friends, in that Matt's air compressor is seen in the doorway, Pete loaned his nail gun and hauled the door for me, and Bill loaned the mega-saw (he also gave 2 days of labor, which not only helped me out, but let Sera off the hook). Bill had the slabs, and I used Matt's truck to haul them.

Win-win situation, in that I helped Matt with some truck repair costs that balanced with borrowing it, but I can say -- the truck is never empty when I go to borrow it, and last time it literally had 'the kitchen sink' in it - some type of antique, cast-iron thing, I think, and darned heavy to hoist out!

I was 'the brains' behind this creation, and it has plenty of flaws that, hopefully, aren't too obvious, but after exhausting myself thoroughly, I think it's not too bad? Yes, it was designed around the tree. Now the yard is absolutely trashed, the inside needs a ton of repairs, and things aren't quite done, but compared to the top pic, I hope my 'sweat equity' pays off in useability this winter.

Don't let the top pic fool you - the posts were rotting off and it was mess... compared to now, with wood piles everywhere and tarps covering stacks of things in the yard. :)

Now aren't ya'all glad you're not here???

3 comments:

  1. Very nice job, I'm impressed. I've had a rude return to reality: got a probably long term temporay gig at Anderson Windows. Rotating shifts. 12 or 13 straight shifts with one day off in between. Quite a change after spending 50 weeks sitting on my butt drinking beer with the TV. On the other hand, it started the same week that my unemployment ran out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim! A lot more to do, but a large part of this project is done. My problem is "I'm too busy working" to take on full employment right now (especially at local wages).

    I'm trying to maintain "12 hour days" on house repairs (not cleaning, too temporary - different beasts), classes, census and graphic work. Most of it right now is house. I try to squeeze everything else in around this.

    The outside work is driving me as Winter looms ever nearer. When it gets here proper, then I have the inside work to do. This is called 'the seasonal cycle'... :)

    Sending a hug, best to both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and did I mention that I've my own winter driver? In addition to 48-56 hour work weeks (throw in an hour's commute each way) I've finally gotten going on putting on our steel roof. Four hours each day that it doesn't rain or is too windy with the help of a neighbor that I can now afford with the help of the overtime money.

    ReplyDelete