Friday, September 11, 2009

One-stretch to Tattoo...

"One-stretch to tattoo" was a board measurement when I left my measuring tape on the ground and I was on the roof. Rough measure was all I needed on it, so 'left hand stretched and from fingertip to wrist tattoo on right' worked. I doubt this method will ever be heard on a construction site, and if anyone bothered reading my mind, they would remain clueless.

Then it was time to tackle the problematic overhang - the area that ices up every winter almost two feet wide and has caused too many headaches. Sixteen-inch overhang without an air gap and insulation compromised - decided I didn't need it, so ripped off the rotting edge to the studs.

If you've never had the vicarious pleasure of rotting wood, mold, ancient insulation, cobwebs and petrified mouse droppings (probably, but I didn't choose to focus on it) falling on your head whilst ripping boards off in high humidity with sweat running off your body - you're not missing anything! Nasty state to be in, and led me to momentarily fantasize about getting cleaned up and pretending I was a lady... or just semi-civilized clean. But the job needed doing, and I seem to be the Chosen One (oh well, easier than leading a bunch of lost people through a desert... Wait! I perfectly qualify for leading the lost!).

Back to the saga. First part was easy enough even if dirty, but sawing the studs down... or up, depending on one's perception. The latest tar on the roof with over 80% humidity and temps over 75 was Gucky. In other words, I already had tar on 30% of my clothing and 10% of my skin. I didn't relish creeping along the edge with my sawzall slurping through the black stick.

Problem with the sawzall is it's heavy; hard for me to 'cut up' from the ladder with it. But...

My little electric chain saw is light. And it extends my reach by 14 inches. So I marked the studs and with my chain saw in some sword-attack position, I whacked off the edges. I seem to cut as straight with this as I would the sawzall, anyway?

I had to clean up some before cutting the 2x4's to space in.

The saving grace of this is Pete loaned me his nail gun and I borrowed Matt's air compressor (and siding nailer, or whatever one calls it). The nail gun is heavy but "bam!" the nail's home. Of course, working alone means moving the ladder and running up and down for a handful of insulation or to trim two hairs' worth off a board, the usual.

I got my exercise and didn't too bad a job. On the last, yes, I did throw myself on the Universe "to keep me from doing anything too stupid" - like dropping a chainsaw on my leg or nailing my hand to the roof. -- Does make cutting a 'short board' seem less critical, doesn't it?

And while I was in the midst of it, the question "What do you most hate to hear?" popped into my head. My first response (sure, to myself, but not a one-sided conversation) was 'angry voices'. Even as I, in my own mortal state, growled at a board in true construction-worker form when it twisted on me.

I said, "You dirty bugger!" at it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Some good news: after two week's shy of a year of finding gainful employment I scored a minimum nine week temporary gig at the Andersen Windows North Branch plant, which, with any luck, could result in some decent permanent employment with a really good company. Not so good news: every two weeks our shift gets rotated back eight hours. So starting tomorrow I go on midnights. Each morning this week when I get home I'll be working on putting our steel roof on now that we finally have assembled all of the materials. With your newfound construction skills I really think that you should come on down south here and lend a hand. I'll buy the beer.

    ReplyDelete