Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Horoscopes squared and starred

Sometimes horoscopes hit right on... February 26 read, "Things may be a bit crazy early in the day as we process the lingering effects of the imaginative Pisces Moon's conjunction with outrageous Uranus..." I didn't need to be told that things were pretty crazy around here! I was turning a headboard into a shelving unit and doors into beds and Menard's scrapped 'break-room' walls into a closet and clearing 6 inches of snow off the driveway.

Would be convenient to blame my insanity on the stars, hm?

One of my past favorites read, "Try to blend in and don't do anything too strange today." I took it to mean symbolically burning a fur coat - since I wouldn't sacrifice a goat - to appease the Gods in the front yard with incense burning under the moonlight while living in town was potentially extreme. So the coat lived. But I could have used some help from whatever Deity appreciates the smell of burning hair... Or maybe not, because what kind of strange Deity is that? One with a poor sense of smell is my guess, and possibly a lower IQ-type to appeal to.

Today the headline on the horoscope attracted me. "Several planets align on four tips of a cosmic seven-pointed star today, indicating an unfathomable complexity that lurks in the shadows." I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but since yesterday was named for my arch-enemy, Square Root Day, "unfathomable complexity lurking around" is mildly alarming. Not sure if I should try to do my taxes or shoe-horn the rest of my belongings into my room - both seem exceptionally complex, and most would agree they're unfathomable.

That's a word to wrap one's tongue around: unfathomable. But it doesn't compare to my favorite word, 'flabbergasted'. That's one that rolls around and means what it means; origin is unknown, so it seems to have just popped out of someone when they were. Not leaving well enough alone, I also like the abbreviated version, as in "I was flabbered by it all."

I am planning to visit the recycled building supply store today, and I can only hope no new "unfathomable complexity" springs out at me. Looks like the day may be interesting. Only thing to do is live it and see how it turns out, hopefully not being too flabbered or skewered by something unfathomable. I may try to draw a seven-pointed star, or keep my eye out for one. :)

1 comment:

  1. I read the horoscopes in both the Sunday Strib and Pioneer Press, which provide my reading entertainment while driving the porcelain bus, and the daily horoscope on my MSN home page. None of them are anywhere close to each other or to what happens at me that day; however, I've discovered a remarkably accurate source for almost everyone's weekly horoscope! You can find it at theonion.com.

    ReplyDelete