Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Generational connections

First, notice the GREEN. I am eagerly awaiting the changing of the seasons, and if I had my way, I'd have a dome in the yard with underground heat and artificial sunlight and I'd sit in it as therapy. :)

Okay, it's -15 (F.) right now and January has seen a lot of subzero temps here. Green is my favorite color for a reason. This is the granddaughter that wept in winters past: "I miss summer...." Child, me too!

This pic was also taken the day before school started last fall. They were assigned a book to read over summer vacation, and she thought she should get started. I'd heard her mom mention this about 100 times in the last two months of vacation, but -- "she had things to do." There may be a reason she's become a fast reader - she needs to be?

I'd love to deny this trait may be inherited, but I tend to get my assignments done within the last hours or minutes of the deadline: "I'm busy." It also looks like we both seek personal comfort in our space; it explains the pillow she chose to use for a cushion and the obviously-comfortable attire. This poor tree is about worn out from her years of activity on it; sometimes a foolish person will say "you should cut it down," not understanding 'this is Val's tree'.

Trees I have known... That is a pretty long list and started in my childhood. We had about 30 acres of trees to explore on the farm, and a person can learn a lot about life up a tree.

Do you remember doing this? The trees sway, leaves rustle, the air is alive, and you're in the midst of it.

There is a kink in perspective that happens when you're off the ground in nature. "That stuff" is down there, and you're part of something else until you swing down again.

Jim, this may be part of "how multiple universes could occupy our space without our noticing them." If another 'you' was sitting in a tree and this 'you' is focused on ground-level stuff, you probably would never meet. And if you did meet you, I bet it'd be a fuzzy, disorienting feeling as the two of you passed through each other. :)

That's a thought, a bunch of me's zipping around feeling dizzy as they crash up. Rather glad we can't view this, because a hundred Valleri's in motion boggles the mind. 50 Road-Runner cartoons, played in fast forward - try to keep up with her! At least I'm more Bugs Bunny speed?

One of my favorite movies is "Now What the Bleep Do We Know?" It helps explain why I never seem to really know what's going on or where I am too solidly... Solid is a perception. :)

3 comments:

  1. I have a little problem with the theory of an infinite number of universes existing with what matter is in ours. The basic premise of that theory is that in any situation where I have two choices of action, say whether to wipe my ass an extra time after shitting this morning or not, I will continue on in my universe while the alternate me will choose the other and then continue on in his. Thus my dog today might choose to run down to the river while his double will dash out to the road, hoping that the neighbor put out more garbage than his container can hold again (since I didn't watch which way he went, I'll get split again). Then there's the tree rat up in my big maple (that's a squirrel to you city folk), he has several branches to choose to leap to next. And the little grub deep under my yard where it's not frozen solid who has several tunnels to take to wherever those buggers go. Multiply the options in my dull little world by the square of the square of all the other dull little worlds on this planet and then again over a longer stretch of time and you can almost begin to get a dim grasp of what infinity is. Until you look as closely as is possible to get the big picture. The smallest element that we have is the hydrogen atom, with a proton that has an electron zipping around it at the speed of light. The time that it takes the electron to get from here to there is very, very, very short. When it gets there it has a fifty-fifty chance of being in either a high or a low state; therefore, in each of those very, very, very small periods of time another universe will be created. We then must square the square of the square of all the hydrogen atoms in our universe, and then go to the cube of the cube of the cube and so on with those pesky heavier atoms with their more complex possibilities of high-low states resulting from their having two or more electrons. Egad. The upside side to having so many damned universes would be that there's a slight chance that in one of them I'm both handsome and rich. And Bush was never president. For a lighter look at what's possible in an alternate universe, check out:

    http://www.salon.com/comics/tomo/2009/01/27/tomo/index.html?source=newsletter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, odds are, it merges back up, because really - you're already rich and handsome. :) Part of this too tweaks out when we're 'linear', which is necessary to our well-being. It's true one can follow a skien of yarn from one end to the other, traveling the whole length. Laid out on a road with an ant traveling it, it is a long journey. When it's wrapped in a ball, the ant could step from 'place to place'. We can't handle our lives (or even one life) in the ball image - the progression and sequences would be whacked. Following this thread is impossible to prove and risks sanity, best left to the Gods.

    I personally think the statement "I am" happened when the first person smacked their own thumb between rocks. Probably the first word considered a curse occured also, followed by "That was stupid." Thus consciousness was born into a physical being... We've been trying to figure out how this happened ever since.

    Seriously, you have Laurie, pets, internet - rich. Looks are perception, ask Laurie. :)

    ReplyDelete