Friday, February 12, 2010

Blog-time

Some folks on a Friday night might have better things to do than meander about in Blog-land, but... for me it's a break? Well...

I haven't written because there didn't seem anything too unusual to share. I realize, however, that at least one loyal reader (hi, Jim) looks forward to my blogs - it makes him glad not to be in the immediate vicinity.

One of the dumber things I did yesterday involved super-glue. I kind of broke the tube in half across both hands and a loose tooth crown I was trying to re-cement. I had enough sense to instantly spread my fingers apart so they weren't stuck like mitts and the tooth fell into a corner of dog fur and dust balls. I will point out that nail polish remover did not work to remove the super glue, nor did Goo-gone. The tooth was fine after I scraped it clean with a knife, and I used the same method on my fingers to remove a good portion of the glue.

Super glue dries fast, and most of it has been peeled / chewed off in the last 24 hours. I have a few raw spots on a couple of fingers where it was a little more persistent, and I have once again proved this stuff is hazardous in my world.

Of a more critical nature, I took my wonderful little car to the mechanic's. It was past a tune-up by a couple of years and has been starting a bit rough. I figured some new plugs would cheer it up. It's been needing rear brake calipers for several months, so this, too, was on my list, along with tightening a battery cable (which had presented itself as 'loose' one cold winter day).

I mentioned to Shane-my-mechanic that it seemed to be getting hot in idle, and interestingly enough, when I opened the hood, the radiator was steaming. The seam along the top of the radiator was failing. Shane didn't think it'd be wise to drive it, and I'm glad it didn't go completely while I was 75 miles from home in the middle of the boondocks searching for a census case whilst the sun set Wednesday.

I had noticed the temperature gauge creeping towards hot whenever I idled a few minutes that day, and in hindsight, now I know why.

One of the fuel injectors was cracked and leaking too, which accounted for the gassy smell upon starting, so the car was definitely due for a few repairs. Shane called this afternoon to share his findings, and he was basically dumbfounded that it was even running - something to do with the distributor cap being cracked and sticking together by a small miracle ---

Which proves what I've suspected: Things in my world stay together either from force of habit or love. The car kept running until I could afford to get it "to the doctor" and considering I put about 1000 miles on it in the last 6 weeks of cold, it could have failed out on some God-forsaken - and sparingly populated - road. Between me, the Universe, and my car, I'm glad it didn't.

Should I mention the kitten is in heat? Luckily there's enough snow and cold to keep it inside, but it's trying to escape and scr-owwwls occasionally like its foot is in a trap. My vet is booked out until mid-April, which is not good! Why they don't have birth control for cats until a person can get them spayed beats me.

I do find this a distressing omen of things to come, in that the granddaughter is 12 going on Teen.

Just my corner of the globe. Slightly more stable than the weather and Washington, D.C., and that's a thought to scare the bee-jesus out of any sane person.

Think about it. A lot of people are 'pretending it's stable', kind of like D.C. and the California coast, but somebody that super-glued her fingers and de-furred a tooth with a squalling cat in heat and car running on faith is actually saner...

I could be wrong, if anyone wants to reassure me!

3 comments:

  1. Howdy. It seems then that your life is maybe finally starting to settle down some. Even with the best Super Glue Anecdotal Disaster Tale that I've ever encountered. Me, not so much. I'm never going to get used to my new job schedule: twelve hours on, twelve hours off for usually three days with then three off with an occasional four or two day stretch for added confusion, then every two weeks going from days to nights and so on. I've at times had to hit the info button on the satellite remote to verify what day it is. And welcome to the ranks of the aging. I thought that the ever increasing wrinkles (experience awards), graying and disappearing hairs was bad enough. No, it's not. While you were bemoaning the long wait for Spring last December I started to get a sharp pain in my left knee that became worse every day until I was literally in tears at work. Over the counter stuff had no effect so I actually went to the doctor. She could find nothing wrong and was only able to offer Vicodin, which took the edge off, and a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. Much pushing, prodding, pulling, twisting and X-Rays revealed that my problem is arthritis in the hip joint. A cortisone injection provided great relief with the promise that as long as those injections worked for at least three months I would then avoid hip replacement. Last week the pain came back a little worse than before. Shit. I'm not even 60 yet. Otherwise everything is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I wrote you a really long reply but blew it away. :(

    Something about how we grew up under the impression that our medical profession was going to take care of us and the AMA was God-like in this field -- and other cultures focused on "energy and healing" were quacks.

    Yet most of our medical treatments are "cut it out, numb it up, replace it" and not about healing, which is what we thought they were working on.

    Decades of funding and research, and we now have better ways to "cut it out, numb it up, replace it" - microsurgery, laser, better drugs, titanium parts. No "cures" or healing?

    Ironically, if a cheap, herbal cure for arthritis worked, there'd still be no motive for the AMA to research or promote it -- no profit in it. Nor would they (AMA) want us to know about it, because it's financially opposite their business interests.

    Kind of like my neck injury 10 years ago when they talked about fusing discs within 6 months, and I found out this only lasts about 10 years until a person's apt to be a mess again - and the reason why I opted not to go that route. The "quick fix" then would be haunting me now, and I figured I should allow about 2 years for maximum recovery before choosing surgery.

    The sad part is, I don't think they intended to focus on "healing" anything that wouldn't somehow be profitable for them (AMA and associated financiers). Half a century of research, and we still have arthritis afflicting most of our aging population without any good answers or 'cures'.

    The doctors have been sold and bought, as much as we were. They trusted the AMA and Powers That Be to work in our best interests, and do we reallyl believe this now? ... I wish I could, but I don't.

    And I wish I knew "a healing secret" (it would be, 'secret', wouldn't it?) to share with you on this. If one existed, do you think the AMA would tell us? No profit in it, go curing tons of people without medical procedures, and I daresay it'd be like killing one of their cash cows and totally unacceptable!

    Isn't that appalling? Take your recent situation and multiply it by ... CDC statistic, 1 in 5 adults will be diagnosed with arthritis ... your procedure and treatment costs ongoing... and that's a massive amount of money we're talking about. "Curing it" would be an abomination then for the profiteers, and it's not going to come from the AMA!

    What is wrong with this picture? -- What's wrong is my friend Jim is suffering with arthritis and the AMA has spent decades "not finding a cure" while reaping billions off the population.

    Damn - pardon my language, but may the assholes have hemorrhoids so large no more shit can leak out...

    Seemed a suitable curse on the profiteers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, eight years ago I was blessed with a bumper crop of hemmorrhoids that were that large. The only time until now that I've had a medical problem that a course of antibiotics couldn't take care of. The surgical cure was, for a good month, worse than the condition. I used to say that I'd only wish that condition on my first ex-wife, but I must agree with you to extend it to those bozos.

    ReplyDelete