Monday, October 19, 2009

Today's weather: Hustle!

Seems we have one more day of mild temps to use or lose. They're showing a band of rain blowing through in an hour and a half, then clear again. Means if I hustle, I can keep everything dry so I'm not handling soggy stuff today?

It's wonderful to be above 40 degrees after we were blanketed with snow and the plants froze off. Except then we got rain, so I took a forced break from working outside to working inside. The chiro's still trying to put me back together after the last major projects. When the temps dropped and the snow fell, I decided we didn't really need the old drafty back door and chose to replace it with a wall. The porch is already a great deal warmer from this.

Then I snugged up the rodent entrances to the best of my ability. Problem being, if they're in the walls when you seal it up, then they can't get out, which is a vexing thought. I heard some major scrabbling around 3 a.m. one night, which drastically impacted my sleep. They're just seeking shelter against the cold, same as me, but they don't belong in my territory!

Every year we have the same attempted invasion. The woods are within a few feet and the 'summer mice' - after heartily multiplying - want to be 'indoor mice'. If any succeed, a new batch will be darting around the house. The cats enjoy this, but the people don't.

Now - I have an hour to fly outside and secure things before the potential of a shower passing through develops! While I'm about it, the pond idea was a good one but I found it was a grandkid-attractor big time, so have decided to put it back into landfill. This works, in that I had all the bark from the logs to put somewhere, which we can call 'compost' then. It did work... but there has to be a better option!

3 comments:

  1. Back in the day when I had ferrets, I discovered that something known from medieval times when keeping cats would get you burned at the stake was true: ferrets leave a scent that terrifies rodents so much that if you have a ferret or two about the hovel then you'll never be blessed with God only knows what moving into your walls to escape the cold. I seem to recall that in your recent past the subject of ferret possession came up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim! One would think 2 cats (a kitten has joined the house) and 3 dogs would scent enough to back off small things, but -.

    I realized half these critters are not here by their own choice; the older cat is fetching them to the house from the neighbors' woods. If they manage to escape from her, they may decide it's not a bad area to hang out in.

    Wonder if a person can just buy ferret scent and sprinkle it around? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. Try Goggle. One of our two cats goes out hunting every night and leaves me a dead treat on the steps most every morning. Does he deal with the mice in the kitchen that are terrifying Laurie? No chance of that.

    ReplyDelete