Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Unit 9 Class Blog - late but reasonably so?

For those who know me... If I haven't been writing, it's because I've been busy - more so than usual, actually, which is hard to absorb. The good news is once again I avoided electric shock - twice.

But I about had a heart attack...

Situation: Madly working on website for another class, tangled in about 6 massive programs, trying to tie up my hosting server to ISBN's site (issued book numbers) to CreateSpace / Amazon and a couple others that leaked out of my head with a ton of things to get done.

I bumped my coffee cup.

It was full.

It spilled across my desk.

It poured down the wall.

Which is where my computer cords are, and the back of my computer.

Freak out! Grab a towel, crawl under desk, feel around for soggiest areas, dry off breaker box.

Leap back out, close down programs wildly, shut down computer, then unplug the breaker box - because things were pretty soaked.

Once it was unplugged, I realized how wet the plug-ins were, and it was a small miracle nothing fried. Dried every thing up, fetched in the 100-foot extension cord to use another breaker box since mine had been soaked (the cord was too short on the second box, needed an extension).

Finally had everything plugged in again, turned on my computer -- and got a frozen start up screen. Nothing functioned, including mouse & keyboard. Panic - panic - panic.

Son-in-law Joe-my-computer-hero was at a cabin, ironically in Wisconsin (instructor's state), without cell phone service for the weekend.

Of course I hadn't backed up data beyond my PC, and all the work I've done was in jeopardy. Panic - panic - panic.

Job forms, massive Dreamweaver files, children's books to be printed, assignments due. Beyond panic - whimper.

"Breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe..."

Repeatedly approached the computer and gingerly pushed the 'on' button, but sheer willpower was not recovering it. I could get my laptop back, start installing software, run damage control.

Thank God Joe was able to 'talk me through' opening up my computer. He was going to walk me through the procedure of pulling my hard drive and placing it in another computer if necessary; or it might dry out, if it was moisture and not virus. I figured it wouldn't hurt to use the hair dryer inside it before disconnecting anything -- and it came back to life!!

"Hurry, back up everything!"

Oh, did I back things up! Stalled on assignments and everything else computer-related, but my old PC is functioning as if nothing ever happened. I'm madly trying to catch up and recovering from this personal crisis, and we were ready for the library presentation yesterday with the children's books - amazing, ain't it?

So - last week's class blog... postponed while I was outside in the storms trying to reroute water, and I know we got over 4 inches here in a few hours -- I was dumping containers as they repeatedly filled. Dried off the extension cord ends (right, in a blinding rain) and plugged the sump pump in so water would flow from the unfinished pond into the neighbor's woods. Not sure which is more risky, being out in a lightning storm or messing with electrical cords at the same time, but if that much water had made its way to my door, my room would have been flooded (i.e. my computer cords?).

But the questions for class were:

I Introduction:

Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically?

So people like me have a resource to provide sanity when life seems crazy; it does me no good to see someone even more stressed and insane than I am, nor will they be able to 'defuse' my nerves. There may be some comfort in knowing someone is 'freaking out' more than I am, but I don't want to be reassuring them "it'll all be okay" (which it will, given time, I know) when I'm waving a white flag and babbling about 'my happy place'.

At the same time, when I'm in a stable state (I heard everyone who said, "Who, you?" and I know where you live!) I can 'pass it on' to others.

What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

Pay more attention to myself - can't hear the quiet voices when they're overpowered by brain-panic. (As soon as I catch up assignments...)

Continue with the tools I'm using, including EFT and journaling.

II Assessment:
How have you assessed your health in each domain?

Better than average, believe it or not. :)

I have enough sense to laugh at myself in the moment, like when the 5-gallon tomato plant dumped in my car when I braked for a yellow light when I was delivering it to my son. I had the foresight to put down a tarp, but the bucket slid and tipped into the front console and seats - and of course I had watered it. (Still need to clean my car, too.)

How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

Spiritually, I'm okay. Physically, I'm doing better. Pxychologically (I like the typo, seems suitable) I think I'm accepting it's okay to be nuts, which is a healthy approach.

III Goal development:

List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.

Physically, and triggered by awareness in this class, I have an affinity for nettle tea - hot, with other flavors, or cold with juice. Bones and joints aren't as bothersome, and as long as I have a 'personal match' with this simple remedy, I'll continue to enjoy it.

For my mental health, as soon as I can get away from computer chaos, I'm going to GO OUTSIDE and play. Then I'm going to work outside, but first a day of loose living, meandering around a bit without more than a hazy plan.

Spiritually, I'll keep trying to see Spirit in others. I have found it's easier for some people at a distance, and I'd still rather avoid 98% of my ex-'s. Some folks I figure God can worry about while I keep myself steady. I don't have to beam death-rays, but it's understandable if I choose to put up a wall of protection and avoid interaction.

IV Practices for personal health:What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.

#1 - Physical - I could get to bed, it's pushing 3 a.m. again.
#2 - Psychological - see #1.
#3 - Spiritual - #1 also, because sleep may be our closest state of meshing with 'the other side'.

V Commitment:How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months?

Journal, personal goals, state of physical health. Which reminds me, I need to do my journal yet tonight.

What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?

Back up my files to a secondary source frequently, for starters!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, water and electronics . . . a couple of weeks ago when I was doing my weekly All Night Laundomat Blues (a cool little tune on Joe Walsh's 'So What?' album goes by the same name) I emptied one of the washers to find Lauie's cell phone at the bottom of the drum. A potential disaster even worse than last year when she'd left a lipstick in her lab coat which I ran with the other whites. I opened it up, removed the battery and dried it as best as I could and tried it out after I'd finished drying and folding our clothing. Nothing. Dead. She can't live without that tool of the devil and we can't afford to replace it either. Got home. There's an electric hair dryer somewhere in this mess but it still remains hidden. Opened it up again and set the pieces out in the sun. Tried it after an hour and it would come on for all of two seconds. Repeated all day long and by the end of the day it was working just fine, except for the funny filmy look all over the screen that will never, it seems, go away. Somehow pulled it out of my ass again. I'm not going to bother with any self righteous speeches about being outside during a thunderstorm, much less doing it while dragging around a nice, large, tasty lightning bait.

    ReplyDelete