Sunday, May 31, 2009

"Who are You?"

Warning: This blog messes with known realities.

The question, "Who are you?" baffles me. It changes in the context of what I'm doing and who is asking - I may be 'somebody's mother' or 'survey worker' or defined by my activities and interests. I am all of these things and none of these things, and my given name is not much help!

My birth certificate used to have one name, then it was changed by the time I was baptized (which I don't remember a thing about, but I probably thought I'd screwed up somehow and they were trying to drown me). Then I married and my name changed, until I divorced when I intentionally changed it to reflect this. Great. My name's unstable.

When asked this universal question, I occasionally respond with, "I assume you mean this lifetime..." I don't have a handle on this, and if I simply give my name and occupation, it feels superficial. I was tripped up by a four year-old who wanted to know 'who I was'. Names and occupations are irrelevant at that age, she wanted to know 'what I was doing on this planet' as it related to her perception. I satisfied her by stating I was a Mom with kids and even some grandkids her age, and that I had dogs, too. She could relate then, and I was okay in her world.

From a sense of timeless Soul - I do think time does not exist as we know in other dimensions - I don't exactly know "Who I am." I tend to think we all do know who we are in this context, just we have collective amnesia while we grow through this lifetime.

I don't know who I am.

I finally realized I didn't need to know 'who I really am' here and now. Simply "I am" is more than sufficient. Just grasping this concept in an expanded, timeless way is all I need to know. Whatever comes after that is just the unraveling of the threads.

The cool part is I see this in everyone I meet. They give name or occupation, but the sense of Soul is right under the surface. Weirdly, most folks are not aware of this. I think that is where we are all truly connected.

Oh. Well then, yes, things like nationality and race and age and religion are less important to me. They're temporary in my view, with a curtain-call at the end of this lifetime. But if their view is the earth-bound one, it's not my place to intervene.

Try making eye-contact with a friend or stranger a few seconds longer than usual, and odds are you'll sense a feeling of "too much information" - we're not able to process this awareness well? Something about it makes us uncomfortable, but babies are 'full-eyed starers'. I wonder what they're seeing in us...

So in my world, "Who are you?" is undefinable, but I know "You Is."

And I'm glad you're here. :)

Now go stare into someone's eyes and check the reactions!

2 comments:

  1. I've always assumed that when the Buddha achieved Nirvana it was simply because he was able to 'figure out who he was.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, this is brilliant! When I first saw this, it dazzled me. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete