Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pause that refreshes

My sense of humor evades me first thing in the morning. Especially when it's -23 outside. The weatherman's promising a warm-up, and therein clings my hope. I am of the solid opinion that, given a new ice-age, there is absolutely no reason for me to wait it out. If we climatically go into a deep-freeze for 50 years... If I can't get to a warmer area, I'll surrender, though there's no point in waving a white flag in a blizzard.

That is one scenario that drains hope right out of me: no Spring. Just winter-bleak, deadly cold invading all areas of life. Survivalists of the mentality to battle anything - I don't understand them. I'd just write "Elaine was here" one last time and give up the ghost. Delusional, maybe, but I have an image of the Other Side as huge garden... :)

Right off the bat, that imagery delights me. Interesting to note the responses in a meeting with a slightly different focus; the request was: "Visualize a place and the people you'd meet if you were in charge of creating it." There were about a dozen people participating, and we shared our images. I noticed every single one was in an outdoor setting. There were beaches and waterfalls and mountains and gardens of various nature, but not a single person chose a setting in a man-made structure - no palaces or Taj Mahal's or Malls of America or similar buildings. No temples or pearly-white gates or sitting on clouds, such as our primitive concepts of heaven include.

No one chose a winter-bleak, snow-bound, frigid setting, either! It amazed me that, given a totally free rein to contemplate this question, all of us had 'a Nature' image. What does this imply for the subconscious human desires / connections within all (or most) of us?

It seems the only thing to do when it's -23 out is to contemplate a garden paradise. Take a deep breath and imagine yourself there, with the folks you'd like best to share it with, design it to suit your preference, and revel in it a few minutes. Add some butterflies, sunshine, rippling brooks if you wish, lazy clouds and gentle breeze - seriously, give yourself up to it for a minute, feel it, and enjoy it.

Delicious, isn't it? :)

Somehow this mental pause refreshes the spirit. I'm so there already...

2 comments:

  1. God only knows how tired I am of this winter too. I was reading fifteen below this morning. My idea of a perfect place to be? Outside on my dock watching the river go by after the sun has gone down enough for me to be in the shade. With a beer. As for those silly 'Christian' yearnings for a pearly gates eternity, the best answer that I've ever come across for that nonsense was penned by Mark Twain in his "Letters to the Earth." Google it and read it for free. It's one of his best works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim, I will! "How cold was it" can be summarized in my quick jog outside. I rolled the garbage can up and checked the mail from yesterday, under 10 minutes outside. Despite hood on down jacket, my forehead felt like an icecube, my hair frosted white from my breath,and air-cold inhaling had that 'freeze your lungs' snap to it. Saving grace is we're due for a warm-up! :)

    ReplyDelete