Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Typical Unusual Day

As usual, I plan, and then the Universe trumps me. Luckily, I'm flexible and try not to be miffed about it. My expectations for the day was "computer" - assignments were due last night (not yet started, since I was busy on the computer with other areas of the combined project) and the finals are due by the end of the week.

So I got up.

It was early so I think I blogged a bit while 'the kids' got on out of here... which is when the first clue from the Universe alerted me that plans were changing. We've had rain, weird as that is, and it was settling under the snow-pack on the roof - i.e. leaking in around the bathroom ceiling light. This is not a good thing.

We were supposed to get snow and freezing following the rain, so figured the day would include some roof-side explorations. And figured I should run to Towne before the weather got crappy and before I got soaked and exhausted. Two reasons to go to Towne - bank deposit and bread store. The roof wasn't going anywhere in the mean time.

So... reality check. I thought I should cut the breaker off to the bathroom as a safety measure, so headed to my room for my 'breaker list' instead of randomly switch things on and off. On my way to my room, there was dog puddle on the carpet - obviously, the one that sleeps in hadn't been let out earlier and wasn't able to get my attention. I fetched my breaker list and on the way through the kitchen, grabbed some cleanser and hit the dog spot with a towel and proceeded to the breaker box, but the bathroom also controls the small bedrooms - i.e., if I flipped it off, the lizard's electrical 'hot rock' wouldn't be.

Left it on after all, but gingerly unscrewed the globe - nothing like electicity and metal and water to lend an air of caution? Didn't get zapped, knocked back an antibiotic for a tooth infection (and I do hope my Alaska sister doesn't read this, because she'll scold again) I'm regaining control over, got my stuff together and headed to Towne. Felt pretty good, which may be a sign of insanity.

Open to Opportunity. The bread store had 10 / $10, so I bought more than I expected - which is good. They also had 'bags for sale' - huh? Chunks of unused bread bags, neatly pinned through, for $3... Hamburger-size is great for yard cleaning and other yukky things as gloves, and the regular size is great for doubling to freeze loaves - so I got a stack of both. About 400 in each bundle, and should last awhile, I'd think, and no, I don't intend to crochet a bread-bag rug, though it is possible. Wasn't expecting this, either.

While I was in Towne... I'd seen some interesting things at my favorite used store, so thought I'd fetch them home while "I was in Towne." I allotted this expense at the bank, and stopped by to get these intriguing items: the old bottle cutter, which I've never had the opportunity to explore, but the way glasses break around here, figured I'd just hand them a jar or bottle and tell them to make another; and a yogurt maker. I'd had one of these years ago, and thought I'd give it a try one day again.

But... while the Opportunity Window was open, there... in the store... all by itself surrounded by 'junk'... was -- a Hamster Habitat! I'd spent what I'd pulled from the bank, but I knew this item wouldn't be there long - so I crossed the street to my bank's other branch and took out extra funds for this, returned to the store and brought it home. One happy hamster, and I knew Sera and Val would want it. (Okay, so my purpose was to make a hamster happy, as dictated the Universe? Actually a rare find.)

By that time I was getting hungry since I hadn't eaten, but I had a loaf of raisin bread next to me and it did taste good while I was driving. Got home with my bottle-cutter and yogurt maker and two sacks of bread and two bundles of bags and hamster house with one crown missing and treating infection with two assignments due that night after eating some bread while the bathroom light leaked...

I was good though? (Richard, if you're sending energy, don't stop!) Cold rain, but I knew where my raincoat was and donned snow pants to stay a bit drier and went roof-side with my shovel to resolve the problem. With the steady rain, a layer of slush was building under the snow; without a place to run to, it was backing up around vents and such. Since it's all gonna freeze again (unless something weird happens with the weather), figured I should remove all of it. Luckily, my area of the roof was good from the last shoveling. Luckily, it wasn't leaking in close to my computer, which would have caused Panic. Luckily, my little plastic shovel is light, because the snow was water-heavy! I have no use for a 20-pound shovel and prefer the lightest that will get the job done, which it did.

I was up and down with dogs going in and out, and the shortest route is simply swinging myself onto a tree and sliding down to the porch railing - good stretching, and smoother than clambering down the ladder; harder going up, which is why the ladder's propped on the other end of the house.

While I was up there, the plastic that is temporarily waiting for me to cut end-boards was loose on one portion, so I fetched up the stapler and hung over the peak by one leg to refasten it - easier than moving the ladder, which is stuck in the snowbank. While I was in the shed getting the stapler, I realized the snow on that roof was blocking the rain and coming through the screw-holes that I hadn't sealed, so -. Dumped the laundry out of a basket and fetched a garbage can to catch these leaks, which isn't critical and can be addressed another day. Easy fix, really, but will use the shop-vac to help dry the carpet when it thaws again.

On my way around and through the house to fetch the stapler, I realized the snow I'd shoveled was against the side door, about three feet deep. Truthfully, about the only place to clear snow on that portion of the roof, but it'd need to be cleared before I was done, or it'd be leaking in the door - and the dogs would have to leap in and out.

So... I finally got in, pretty soaked and a bit sore. Not sure why the chiropractor said "tennis elbow", in that I've never played tennis! I have found cutting the tops off a pair of socks make excellent elbow supports, and one can pull them down around wrists if a bit chilly. Looks like kind of cool sleeves, too, without adding a full shirt! Tip: worn-out socks filled with dog food and knotted makes a great doggie-treat, but we've used up all of our spares - I'm wearing the tops and the dogs finished off the bottoms.

Bonus: I had made oatmeal cookies the day before, so enjoyed a few with coffee.

Sera came home early not feeling well, Val came home from the bus and built a hamster house, and I took a break before tackling assignments.

The light gradually stopped leaking and I even got the assignments done on time.

5 comments:

  1. Egad! My life is sooo staid and boring compared to yours; however, I did manage to finish painting the living room ceiling today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, well... on ceilings. Mine can't be painted until I replace it, in that last year's damage is still 'crushed through'. This is a project for me to do once this course of classes is finished, which... may be the end of this month?

    We don't want to think about that now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does 'crushed through' mean water stains or physical penetration? Hmmm...that didn't come out quite right, but I think you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's say portions of it look like a meteor ripped through - 'the shredded look'in areas of a damaged, 35+ double-wide ceiling long past its prime. I've painted it for 10 years, but It's Time... to replace it. I have options, but you reallly shouldn't ask! Not sure yet exactly how I'll go about repairing it. Good time to inspect the insulation, while I'm at it. (Jim, I'm gettin' tired just thinkin' about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good friend of mine down the road lives in a single wide that had the same problem. First thing, he replaced the roof. Originally it was the slightly curved metal affair that always eventually fatally fails. He lucked into some regular roof trusses for free that were the right width, tore off the old roof, put up the trusses and then sheathed and shingled the top. He stuffed in fiberglass insulation, covered the bottom with plastic sheeting, and then when it went on sale he covered that over with quarter inch plywood with one by twos over the seams. He followed it up with a light stain and it looks really tits and works even better.

    ReplyDelete