Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Turnings

I 'do things,' and then try to figure out why I did it. With the upcoming reconstruction in my area, I realized once again I'm rotating my bed 90 degrees. I don't do this with forethought or intention, I just do it. It seems to occur seasonally with me, and there is no intellectualizing going on - I think about it afterwards.

It's like a minor, internal disharmony of a note being sung off-key: 'something's not right' and I do this, usually moving my bed around the room several times. Invariably, it ends up perpendicular from when I started, and 'feels right'. In the fall, the same thing tends to occur.

So then I think about it.

Somewhere in my fuzzy past, I read something about poles and east/west, north/south turnings. Me being me, if I'm comfortable, I'm not going to change something just because some book said I should do so to keep up with invisible forces of nature. I just do it, and if the book agrees with me, then maybe there's a reason for it - I don't know.

I'm exploring options for What's About to Happen here, and one of major ones is shrinking the queen-sized bed (room enough for me and all four dogs, if they're in here) to a single. I'm leaning towards a thick, double layer of foam instead of a mattress, but Bones Being Bones (my BBB), it has to be suitable for me.

So... I leaned the bed against the wall and shoved the two drawer sections together with the foam pad doubled on it to test it last night. And it did okay. The Bones actually seem better this morning than usual, so that'd be a good thing!

It was a decent test, in that I chopped through the frozen snowbank to open up my door for the upcoming chaos. 'Chop' being the keyword, in that I had to use the ice chisel due to the steady rain we had previously. If I'd gotten up like the Tin Man without oil, it wouldn't have surprised me. Getting up not-too-bad was a pleasant surprise instead.

Huh. That's actually a major decision in my world. If I made this change without considering Bones, it'd be a major screw-up. Cranky Bones test anyone's patience and drain energy.

Which is why I think a reincarnation as a Jelly-fish would be cool. I'd be the poisoned kind so others wouldn't mess with me, just squooshing around. No bones about it.

2 comments:

  1. Before you mentioned the phenomena I was thinking that perhaps you were subconsciously preparing for the upcoming polar shift. There's a fifty-fifty chance that it happens every 20,000 years, and we're due (12-21-12?). Archeologists first stumbled on it when studying an ancient fire ring in Australia. When you heat up a ferrous rock and slowly let it cool the little iron particles align themselves to magnetic north/south. They wanted to see how much declination had varied since the fire and were quite surprised to find it to be about 180 degrees off. The time scale for the switch was discovered when geologists conducted radio frequency mapping of the two tectonic plates leaving each other in the Atlantic ocean. That mapping not only revealed the contour of the ocean bedrock, but also the magnetic orientation of the magma when it cooled. That and the distance between changes determined the timeline since the rate of spread is fairly constant. But what do I know? The big question is this: does the entire earth turn over (hold on tight!) or do the poles just switch. If they just switch is it a quick process or does the magnetism slowly go and then return, resulting in the temporary loss of our cosmic ray shielding? Or maybe some other catastrophic process. Always here to cheer you up, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, if the earth's skin rotates, I'm hoping we end up somewhere tropical. If we get parked on the North Pole - I'll be darned miffed with the Universe, because the last place I've ever wanted to visit was Siberia.

    "Life as we know it may end" - quick look around the planet, and hard to say this must be a bad thing? It could be an upgrade! Teleportation and stuff. :)

    I love 'end of the world' movies, in that folks run around panicking like they can somehow avoid it. I think I'd probably take it easy for a change, and pretty sure I'd see everybody directly thereafter. I figure 30 seconds after the world ends, no one will care - until then, we have the heebie-jeebies about it. 'Birth in reverse' and there's a reason babies come in hollering?

    So - where were we before the labor pains kicked us out? Returning Home after the trip here, just simultaneous departures? Kind of tickles a person's joy about it all - BAM! Yee-ha, we're all together in a place we used to know.

    Delusional, maybe, but harmless and smiley. And when we get there, I'll say "I told you so!" :)

    It's the between-times, the here and now, that keeps me on edge...

    ReplyDelete