Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rejuvenation in Pictures

This was April snow, when Jim lucked out and we got the blast here. It was combined with below-zero temps.

Had to clear our short road to the main road and get Sera out for work -- it was payday, and she needed to deposit it before the check she wrote the night before for groceries was processed.

Would have waited for the plow, but the day before he came by around 4:30 p.m. Uphill most the way with the little snow blower. This is why I don't feel a need for an exercise program!

From this to digging dirt. I prefer dirt, and have been busily rearranging it around here.


Three days... from 'hugely ugly' with the old deck cut off, concrete bricks showing, debris to "rocks and green"! The triple-stacker on the right is my rock chair.

These windows are actually glass doors built in sideways. The right-side one was where the old, shoddy glass doors were, the ones that frosted up inside all winter. The 'wall spot' is a hole for a light to be wired one day... Jim, this is a simple wiring project; there's an outlet inside I'll loop off of for a switch and light.

The 'green' is just what I chopped off the top of the 10-foot hole. If it survives dogs, kids, shade and lack of watering, then it's the ideal 'green' for me! I did feel some pressure to hurry up and get this done though, before the plants died. The shelf boards used to be in Pete's garage, donated a few years ago. They provide an area for potted plants to be placed. The old cedar pole Pete donated too, something he'd been saving since the '70's? The left double-bar maintains an opening for an air vent.

These are rocks I hauled home last summer. The same lady offered rocks again, and I'll be loading my little car with more at noon today (front of the house, pond, rebuild steps with concrete...).

Ye-up. SOMEBODY played with the hose, filling 'the dig,' and trashed her shoes - which she didn't have this morning as she got ready for school. They're soaked in the mud-hole. Said Child believes she is now a Young Adult (age 12).

And this blog may take a twist - class in Alternative Healing this semester, with a blog required.

We know odds not likely I will suddenly become sane... :)

Long as I remember not to get too serious, I should be okay. These snow-aliens appeared during the last heavy round of snow here. It greeted the snowplow and garbage man, and how else does one chuckle through late-winter cold?

THANK GOD it's greening up and I can be busy with dirt and rocks - even if half the time I'm planning for 'next winter'. Part of banking the house with styrofoam and dirt is in consideration for the next round of freezing. (Gag me.)

Now go hug a tree!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so very much impressed with all that you've been doing lately. Love the look of the side of your place. It took me all day today to 'plant' four tomato plants. Started yesterday - Laurie decided that we're doing the Topsy Turvey upside down thingies and after getting the damned things and the plants and two shepard hooks left me to do it. Yesterday I drove the hooks deeply into the edge of our mound, filled one of those planters with a plant and dirt, and hung it up. It bent the hook over until the plant hit the ground. So . . . into 'towne' today for four S hooks, strung some rope between a tree and our free utility pole (another story) and got all four 'planted' and hung (with the assistance of a few beers) and watered. Tomorrow I get to see if I can get the mower working again and start to cut my hayfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those snowmen crack me up. I can definitely relate to the snow and cold, being from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny the snow men do not notify the government, i will if i lost my space ship... nice work i like it....

    ReplyDelete